Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wire artist Ruth Asawa

Wire knitting artist Ruth Asawa:




As I work with wire knit and crochet techniques I wanted to see some master pieces in this field and I came across the name Ruth Asawa.


This was around October last year.  I was fascinated seeing her art just in two dimensional pictures.  I became more interested reading about her in Wkikpedia, about her early life in the Japanese interment, how she bloomed despite all the struggles and how art played a significant role in her life, in her survival.


Ruth Asawa said - " Art is for everyone"  and she carried that message in her art activism.




Ruth Asawa,  a Bay Area living artist inspires me and one of my dream is to meet her in person someday.

Atleast, I wanted to see her work.  The first one I saw around Christmas time in the Ghiradelli Square- Andrea's Fountain.  I came to know that Ruth Asawa is also called as the Fountain lady!


Yesterday Nina ( my daughter) and I went to the De Young Museum in San Francisco to see her work.  It is mesmerizing.

Look at this picture



A wire knitted piece of about 3 or 4  feet diameter is joined with several spherical and hat like structures is hanging from the wall.  The whole piece is about 10 to 12 ft long. This huge piece is probably created with 15g or even thicker, may be 10 g wire, otherwise it would not have supported the structure.  But what  a delicate and lacy look  it has!



I compare it with my lame puny one that I had made . The same viking knitting method is used here too, it seems.  Correct me if you think differently,  please.   I did it with 26 g wire with the Lazee Daisee tool sitting on my lap.

                                                        alankarshilpa.etsy.com

How on earth did Ruth Asawa  manage to create this humongous piece with such ease?  What did she use to start with?  I am totally blown away.  I bow down to this artist for what she had given to us.

Do you make wire art?  Wire knit or crochet?  Then, I'd like to feature you.  Just let me know in your comment.













2 comments:

Jennifer M. said...

Hello! I wasn't sure how to contact you since you didn't leave your email address in your comment to me re: sponsorship. I'd love to swap buttons with you this month if you like.

Do you know how to create them? If not, I can make one for you. Did you want to advertise your shop or your blog? I'll need one from you that's 150x100 pixels, and I'll send you the same, if that's okay.

Any questions - you can email to: desertrose0601@gmail.com

Ratcha said...

You are very welcome Dita!
What you doing is just amazing and very well. I love everything on your work. As I said "Just Adorable", and thank you for the note back my blog.

Have a great day...
Ratcha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...